The Wegner Center Library and University Libraries invite you to explore ClinicalKey https://login.ezproxy.usd.edu/login?url=http://www.clinicalkey.com, one of our newest online databases. ClinicalKey has added over 1,000 medical e-Books to our libraries’ collections with new material added each month. This new online tool from Elsevier incorporates and replaces MD Consult and First Consult.
Searching is based on Elsevier’s proprietary medical taxonomy, EMMeT, so it searches differently than PubMed (see below). Search results are ranked by clinical relevance but can also be sorted by date of publication. Results can also be refined by Content Type (journal citations, books, guidelines, videos, drug monographs, clinical trials, images, patient education handouts); by Specialty (Internal Medicine; Pediatrics); by Date; and by Study Type (systematic review, RCTs).
“Type slowly! “
The best way to search ClinicalKey is to start very slowly. It has an autosuggest feature that makes suggestions as you type partial words. A selection can then be made from terms ClinicalKey finds relevant. Suggestions will include diseases, treatments, procedures, drugs, authors’ names, etc.
Besides e-Books, ClinicalKey provides access to over: 500 medical and surgical journals (from Elsevier), 15,000 procedural videos, 2,000 practice guidelines, and 3.5 million images, as well as many drug monographs and patient education handouts. MEDLINE abstracts are included with most journal citations, and the red USD U Get It! button is prominently displayed to help view/order the full-text of articles.
My ClinicalKey in the upper right hand corner allows for signing into a personal account. Through this account, a searcher can save articles to a personal Reading List or save images to the Presentation Maker. These images can then be exported to PowerPoint, as needed, complete with the full citation for the image.
Find more info including how-to videos in this research guide:
To enrich library resources and services provided to our nursing staff, faculty and students, the libraries have migrated to an enhanced version of CINAHL (Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature).
CINAHL Complete contains:
- Full-text To Many Nursing Journals
- Over 750 more full-text articles
- Thousands more journals available (both full-text and abstract)
- 134 Evidence-Based Care Sheets
- Evidence-Based Care Sheets are summaries of key nursing topics incorporating the latest evidence, statistics, research and references.
- 169 Quick Lessons
- Quick Lessons are clinically organized nursing overviews with information mapped to nursing workflow (assessment, treatment goals, red flags, what to tell the patient/patient’s family).
PLUS over 20 full text books and monographs all in this one database.
Of interest to mental health clinicians, researchers, social workers and forensic and legal specialists, the libraries now subscribe to the online Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition. This comprehensive resource is considered to be the gold standard manual for the diagnosis and classification of mental disorders; it facilitates the objective assessment of symptom presentation in a variety of clinical settings.
The DSM-5 is part of a larger package now owned by the libraries. Our libraries now provide access to PsychiatryOnline from American Psychiatric Publishing (access this resource through the libraries’ database lists). Several important publications are available through this Web portal including:
Online Psychiatric Books Now Available
- The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Psychiatry, 6th and 5th editions
- Gabbard’s Treatments of Psychiatric Disorders
- Textbook of Psychotherapeutic Treatments
- The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Geriatric Psychiatry
- Dulcan’s Textbook of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Substance Abuse Treatment
- The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Psychopharmacology
- Manual of Clinical Psychopharmacology
- Textbook of Traumatic Brain Injury
- DSM-5 Handbook of Differential Diagnosis
- DSM-5 Clinical Cases
Online Journals from PsychiatryOnline
- The American Journal of Psychiatry – includes Residents’ Journal – a forum for psychiatry residents/fellows
- The Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences
- Psychiatric Services
- FOCUS – The Journal of Lifelong Learning in Psychiatry (for recertification and self-assessment)
In addition, PsychiatryOnline provides self-assessment books such as Self-Assessment in Geriatric Psychiatry; Psychiatric News, a news service of the American Psychiatric Association; and patient care handouts addressing questions about psychiatric medications. Also available, The Let’s Talk Facts pamphlet series (For Patients tab) provides an overview of psychiatric illnesses, their symptoms and common treatments, for the lay reader.